It is issued for a period of 5 years, but the 5-year period only begins once you've been hired. Four alternative routes.Washington State has four alternative routes that cater to specific populations. If you want to teach in Washington, you must earn a bachelor's degree, either before beginning or concurrently with* an approved teacher certification program. Another option for alternative teacher certification in Washington is Route 4. You may also want to view the list of all approved educator preparation programs in Washington and their approved endorsements. Washington teacher certification requirements are quite involved. There are four different alternative routesto certification offered in Washington. In Washington, all teachers must complete at least bachelor's degrees in order to receive certification. Because the alternative certification process is complex, we have researched and provided specific school programs below for individuals who have a bachelor’s degree outside of education and want to become a teacher. sz.src = '//'; References: 1. Washington, WA State Teacher Certification. Candidates may also earn a master’s degree in education, or in a core subject that includes an approved teacher preparation program. Route 2 alternative teacher certification requires candidates to have a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited school and take the state basic skills exam as well as the subject matter assessment for the endorsement sought. Certification in another state. With the greatest teacher shortages occurring in STEM subjects, it means those whose initial bachelor’s degrees were in core STEM areas like math, engineering or science are in particularly high demand. If your Residency certificate is issued without an expiration date, you'll need to apply to get it reissued once you have a … First, interns are not the paid teachers of record. Funding. Teacher Certification Degrees » Teacher Certification Center » Washington Alternative Teacher Certification. These certificates are used when a district cannot find fully-licensed educators in specific subjects or areas of need. Candidates must also have at least one year of teaching (or student interaction) experience. The Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction within the states Department of Education oversees the process, which is outlined in detailed below. Our coursework grounds teachers’ learning in the context of the school community as well as the realities of daily teaching practice. [CDATA[*/ Until recently, aspiring teachers in the D.C. area were limited to traditional teacher preparation programs through colleges and universities. Teach for America is a program that serves as an alternative route to teacher certification. Compared to traditional educator preparation programs, Washington’s Alternative Routes tend to be shorter, more convenient, more affordable, and more practically oriented. Similar to the Limited Teaching Certificate, the Route 2 pathway is used primarily when schools have difficulty finding licensed teachers in subject shortage areas. var sz = document.createElement('script'); sz.type = 'text/javascript'; sz.async = true; The author wishes to thank program coordinators from the six alternative route pilot programs for their time and valuable insights. However, the state will evaluate a candidate’s state-approved teacher education program and degree from an accredited school to fulfill Washington’s requirements. Three years teaching experience at the P-12 level. Often, people may work with a school district to only realize they want to be full-time educators. Candidates must also pass the Washington Educator Skills Test – Basic (WEST-B) and Deep Content Expertise (WEST-E) exams. Except for Washington State, CWU has made no determination if this program will lead to licensure in your state … Candidates for these certificates must be conditionally hired by a school district, and the certificates must be requested by the district on the candidate’s behalf. Teachers in Washington State public schools are required to hold a valid teaching certificate. Alternative teacher certification is designed to get those with bachelor’s degrees in subjects other than education into the teaching profession in order to address often dire teacher shortages. To earn your teaching certificate, you'll complete coursework and testing and then apply to the state education agency in the state where you want to teach. 2. Here is a look at what the program is all about and what you need to know to apply. Out-of-State Applicants Full and Limited certificates you may apply for if you have completed an According to data compiled by the National Center for Alternative Education, approximately 9 percent of Washington … However, Washington’s alternative route programs differ from most alternative certification programs in two ways. *The concurrent option is only available if the college or university where you're pursuing your bachelor's degree has an undergraduate teaching option; UW does not. As such, candidates who meet the minimum eligibility criteria can advance through the teacher application. This pathway is open to candidates who wish to become endorsed in a teacher shortage area such as bilingual education, early childhood education, English language learners, special education, mathematics, or elementary education. Thanks to the editing and feedback provided by Debra Fabritius, Janie Maki, and Kathe Taylor. Washington does not often recognize reciprocity through the National Association of State Directors of Teacher Education and Certification (NASDTEC). Find an alternative route program. The program provides funding of up to $8,000 per year for up to four years, toward earning a Washington Residency Teacher Certificate. All DCPS teachers need a valid teaching credential, issued by the Office of the State Superintendent of Education (OSSE). Teacher Certification Degrees receives a marketing fee from companies working with colleges and universities that are presented with our "Find Schools" buttons. After completing the entire preparation program, the candidate will be eligible for a standard teaching license. In addition to traditional teacher certification, Washington state also offers options for alternative teacher certification. These programs can usually be completed in one to two years and lead to a certificate. Some pursuing teacher certification may not desire the MAT and have the option to receive a CWU certificate of completion at the end of the 4 th quarter. You must have at least an associate’s degree to begin an alternative route certification program in the state. Alternative teacher certification is the term used for a certification earned by an educator outside of a traditional college program. Approved alternative routes partnerships are eligible to apply for the alternative routes … This includes classroom teachers, principals, paraeducators, school counselors, superintendents, and more. The Career Tech Educator certificate is a provisional, one-year certificate that is available for those who wish to teach career and technical education subjects but who do not have a full teaching certificate. We recommend you request information from one or more of these specific programs: To attract qualified teachers to the classroom, Washington offers multiple pathways to alternative teacher certification that are designed for diverse education and experience backgrounds. If you’re looking to become a teacher in Washington but hold a bachelor’s degree in a different field, there is an alternative certification option available in the state that will allow you to become a certified teacher in a short amount of time. Route 4 candidates who meet this qualification must attend an approved intensive summer teaching academy and complete a year-long mentored teaching internship to convert their certificate to a standard teaching certificate. Next, candidates must apply to an approved alternate route program to complete a summer teaching academy, which is followed by a year-long mentored teaching internship. The program is designed to support candidates who are teachers-of-record in schools in WA. Central Washington University recommends candidates for licensure at the successful completion of the fourth quarter of instruction when student teaching is completed. Alternative Routes to Teacher Certification are designed for career changers and for individuals already working in the school system who want to earn a residency teacher certificate. This type of certificate is usually issued if a school district can not fill a position with a certified educator. Completion of the Teacher Certification Program requires students to maintain a 3.0 GPA, graduate with an endorsable degree and pass state assessments. The first route requires candidates to hold associate's degrees and be currently employed as classified instructional employees (paraprofessionals). Teacher certification or licensure—different regional names for the same thing—refer to the qualification program you need to go through in order to teach. Washington State is facing teacher shortages in the subjects of special education, bilingual education, all areas of science, math, early childhood special education, and English language learner education, particularly in the Spokane, Seattle, and Olympia school districts. The State of Washington requires prospective teachers to go through a certification and endorsement process. First-time teacher certification applicants in Washington must apply for their Residency Teacher Certificate. /*]]>*/, Alternative routes to teacher certification, Educators of the deaf and visually impaired, Educator retooling conditional loan scholarship, Pipeline for paraeducators conditional loan scholarship, Testing barriers in Washington State report, The potential of micro-credentials in Washington state report, Collaborative schools for innovation and success, Educational service district alternative routes grant, Recruiting Washington Teachers – Bilingual Educators Initiative, Credentialing for educators of the blind and visually impaired, Standards, approval, and review committee, About the Professional Educator Standards Board, Previous Paraeducator Board meetings and materials, Route 1: For district staff (e.g., paraeducators) with an associate’s degree, Route 2: For district staff with a bachelor’s degree, Route 3: For “career changers” with a bachelor’s degree, Route 4: For district staff with a bachelor’s degree and a limited certificate, Adding or changing an alternative route preparation program. The candidate must be highly qualified and experienced in the career area to be taught. Passing a basic skills test. For further details, visit our guide to teaching license reciprocity. The essence of the UW Accelerated Certification for Teachers (U-ACT) program approach to teacher development is a focus on learning in the context of direct and daily practice. The Intern Substitute Certificate authorizes the intern to substitute teach, only in the classroom to which assigned for student teaching. The certificate must be applied for by the hiring school district and is only valid for one year, though it may be reapplied for in subsequent school years. The Education Department recommends that a student planning to transfer to a four-year university or college to pursue a teaching certificate in PreK-12 education (WA State Certified Teacher) earn an Associate in Arts degree/Direct Transfer Degree (AA-DTA). A list of state-approved teacher preparation programs can be found on the Professional Educator Standards Board … Washington state has four routes for alternative teacher certification, all which have been approved by the State of Washington Professional Educators Standards Board. This type of license is available to individuals who hold an appropriate bachelor’s degree who are currently employed in a school district on a conditional or emergency certificate. Continue reading to learn more about becoming a teacher in Washington through one of these routes. Candidates whose education and experience are deemed to meet requirements must typically then pass the Washington state exams for educators, the WEST-B and WEST-E assessments. Appendix I: Washington™s Teacher Certification Programs..... 65 Barbara McLain worked on this report during her time with the Institute. Washington State Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction:, Home | Teaching Degrees | Teaching Careers | Teaching Resources, © Copyright 2020 Teacher Certification Degrees - All rights reserved. In the State of Washington, prospective teachers must complete a state-approved teacher preparation program at an accredited college or university, or they must complete a state-approved alternative certification program. Washington State's Residency teaching certificate is considered a full license. The minimum requirement to pursue alternative certification for teachers in Washington is an associate’s degree, although most routes require at least a bachelor’s. Alternative pathways to teaching programs offer alternative routes to a teaching certificate in Washington. Out-of-state teachers may be eligible for reciprocity in Washington. The Washington Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction (OSPI) requires teachers to earn at least bachelor's degrees in addition to completing approved teacher preparation programs from accredited colleges or universities. Most certifications must be renewed by OSPI every five years. You can see a list of programs and specialties offered through the Professional Educator Standards Board. The Transition to Teaching Program at EWU provides formal education for and certification for individuals looking to become full-time teachers if they are currently employed in a K-12 school with an AA or higher, or who are not employed in a school but have their bachelor's degree. For more information on these licenses and their requirements, see the Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction website. The State of Washington requires prospective teachers either to complete a state-approved teacher preparation program at an accredited college or university, or to complete a state-approved alternative certification program. Another option for alternative teacher certification in Washington is Route 4. Hundreds of teachers have been prepared for work in classrooms across Washington through our alternative route offerings. About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Terms of Use and Disclaimers, Washington Professional Educator Standards Board, Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction website, Washington Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction (OSPI), Career and Technical Education Applicants, Washington Professional Educator Standards Board Alternate Routes to Certification Pathway. Intern Substitute Policy The Intern Substitute Certificate is defined in WAC 181-79A-231(6), as a limited service certificate that may be awarded to teacher candidates who are enrolled in their student teaching experience. (function() { There are more than 56,000 alumni and corps members working toward education equality across a variety of sectors. Second, Washington’s routes include programs for paraeducators with associate’s degrees so they can earn a baccalaureate degree and become certified to teach. These programs particularly seek to recruit teaching candidates in high-need, difficult-to-fill subject areas. Additionally, these certificates are not typically considered pathways to professional certification. Washington State Teacher Preparation. (1) Alternative routes to teacher certification programs are partnerships between professional educator standards board-approved preparation program providers, Washington school districts, and other partners as appropriate. You can apply or renew your certification in this section if you are a Teacher or CTE Applicant. All Washington teachers are required to hold a bachelors degree, complete an approved Washington teacher preparation program, and pass the required content exams. You can find out more about this type of certificate through the Washington Professional Educator Standards Board. The Teacher Shortage Conditional Scholarship is designed to provide financial aid to encourage persons to become teachers and to retain these teachers in shortage areas. All four routes lead to full residency certification (the first level regular residency certification … Candidates must have a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited school. Washington Teacher Preparation. In-State Program Completer Applicants Full and Limited certificates you may apply for if you are completing or have completed a state of Washington approved teacher preparation program. Besides being SPU’s most affordable option for attaining teacher certification, the defining characteristic our alternative routes teacher preparation model is 180 days of student teaching. })(); Staff Intranet Route 4 candidates who meet this qualification must attend an approved intensive summer teaching academy and complete a year-long mentored teaching internship to convert their certificate to a standard teaching certificate. When hiring a potential educator for a K-12 teaching position, the state’s department of education needs proof that that person knows how to teach their subject matter and manage a classroom. This list is just the alternative route programs available this year. This type of license is available to individuals who hold an appropriate bachelor’s degree who are currently employed in a school district on a conditional or emergency certificate. Alternative Teacher Certification Programs in Washington, D.C. Alternative Teaching Certification Programs in Washington. There are more routes into District of Columbia classrooms than ever before. Candidates may then follow one of several paths, which typically require candidates to complete a post-graduate teacher preparation program. Those looking to become educators in Washington must first obtain state teacher certification. Washington Alternative Certification Programs. Certification specifics depend on a number of factors, mostly whether the prospective teacher is either going into elementary or secondary education, as well as whether they are a first-time applicant or experienced professional. Alternative pathways to educator licensure in the state are primarily designed for those who already hold a bachelor’s degree and are looking to change careers. The second route to certification is available to candidates who hold bac… /*